Dr. Care
Dr. Care, DDS
Experience:  General Dentistry-private practice 21 yrs. Member ADA

Hi had sever pain in upper teeth, nose, eye sockets and cheak

Customer Question

Hi had sever pain in upper teeth, nose, eye sockets and cheak bones. Called my GP and he prescribed Amoxilcillian acid 500mg and Flagyl 400mg 3 days ago, pain has eased but nose is very sore and teeth sensitive to touch My GP explained he thought I had an abcess. Still in teirible pain any ideas what I should do next as the pain is so bad. I'm taking solpadeine
Many thanks from Dublin, Ireland
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Care replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Care :

Hello,I hope I can be of service. When you were given these precriptions, I wonder if you were seen in person and do you mean that the GP is a physician or a dentist?

Customer :

Hi Dr Care, thanks for taking the time to help me. I was given these prescriptions approx 3 days ago. In europe the GP is the same as a general physician, GP normally call to your home at the weekend, which happended in this case

Customer :

I should have mentioned my lips, nose and areas around nose lips etc swelled a good bit

Dr. Care :

OK. Is the pain and the teeth aching on both sides of your head?

Customer :

No my head is clear, its just sever pain in my nostrels, upper lips and tissue to the left and right of nostrel. Its has improved over the past 3 days but concerned the pain is still very bad

Dr. Care :

Just trying to get this straight. So are just the front teeth aching, and does one of them feel very tender when putting pressure on it?

Customer :

3 of my teeth are very sore to touch, if I push up hard the gums give me a severe pain, however if I touch my nostrels in any way or upper lip I get severe pains from this area. Apologies for my poor decriptions Thanks

Dr. Care :

OK. It's possible to have referred pain from one tooth to the other adjacent teeth, and to the soft tissue in the area. It's very unlikely that three teeth would be abscessed at the same time. Sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between the teeth being the cause of the problem or only hurting because of another problem such as a sinus infection. Normally a tooth abscess is not going to make the nostrils hurt. Do you have swelling of the gum tissue under the lip?

Customer :

Thanks yes the swelling of the gum tissue under lip is very bad. I'm unable to separate lip and gum i.e. the tissue between these is very swollen. I appreciate the all your advice, it looks like I need to get my problem examined further would you suggest a Physician or a Dentist for the inital consultation - Thank you

Dr. Care :

I would go to a dentist by your description of the problem. You are taking the correct meds. Keep taking them and drink lots of fluids. Good luck.

Customer :

Many Thanks for all your help Dr Care, this is a super service, best regards

Dr. Care :

Same to you.