Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
17394144

i have a lump on the gum line above one of my back teeth- it

i have a lump on the gum line above one of my back teeth- it hurts to touch, altough the tooth it is above does not hurt. I can feel the pain in my cheek. Does this sound like an abscess?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Jasleen Bagga replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear regarding the trouble.

Be advised that as without the opportunity to examine your tooth clinically and look at the x- ray, i would not qualify as a legitimate 2nd opinion.However, i could only add some inputs to the diagnosis.The symptoms you mentioned are highly suggestive of ' dental abscess '.

Dental infections could come as a result of a variety of different things.Deep tooth decay, a traumatic blow to the tooth and a periodontal (gum) disease are the most common reasons of oral infection.Antibiotic therapy would be be there as an adjunct to control the infection.I would advise you to consult a dentist ASAP or go to an ER as the face is already swollen. You need immediate care for this kind of conditions such as tooth abscess and you should not wait longer for dental appointment. A proper oral examination and radiographic evidence is prudent in your case. This infection could spread throughout your body, so arrange an appointment at the earliest.

However, if going to a dentist is not an option at this moment, i would advise you to go in for warm saline rinses few times in a day.This will promote drainage of any accumulated pus.For pain, you could take Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice daily for 3 days.

An effective way to control dental pain is to switch between 400 mgs of Ibuprofen ( 2 tab of advil ) and 1000 mgs of acetaminophen ( Tylenol ) every 4 - 6 hours.

Try rinsing frequently with hot salt water solution. You could dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as would be able to tolerate without burning your mouth, and rinse for 2 - 3 minutes every 4 hours.You could also keep a dry black tea bag against the infected tooth for slight relief of pain and swelling.Be advised that DO NOT TRY TO BURST THE ABSCESS with sharp objects, lest they superimpose a physical injury on top of an already bad situation. Moreover, it could even result in rupturing a large blood vessel and provoking profuse bleeding.

In case, the swelling would not subside or pain increases, you need to contact a local dentist. If unable to get an appointment, you need to contact a medical doctor or an ER for evacuation of the abscess or antibiotic therapy.The reason i mentioned ASAP or ER - As there could be many reasons for swelling such as carious tooth ( swelling indicates that the infection might have reached the pulp tissue of the tooth ).Without proper oral examination and radiographic evidence, it would be hard to diagnose the exact reason for swelling. Antibiotics could suppress the symptoms,however to a certain extent. After a certain point, even the antibiotics would be ineffective. Unnecessary popping of antibiotics is never recommended.

Also make sure that your temperature does not go above 100 degrees and there is no vomiting.This would warrant an emergency trip to ER.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Kindly Accept the Solution,if 100% Satisfied from my response.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience: B.D.S with 4 years of experience