Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

A small painless bump appeared on the inside of my cheek yesterday

A small painless bump appeared on the inside of my cheek yesterday - it doesn't feel like a mucocele as i get these a lot and it's not like that. I also have canker sores on the inside of my lip and an ulcer on my gum. All appeared yesterday. i am more worried about the bump as it is painless - slightly blue-ish in colour.
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

A lump of acute onset with a blueish color on the cheek almost certainly represents a hematoma, or blood blister.These are common lesions, and due to the minor injuries to which the inside of the cheek is vulnerable due to its proximity with the teeth during chewing. The absence of pain does not eliminate this as the likely diagnosis, because the cheek mucous membranes have a relative lack of sensitivity when compared to other intraoral surfaces. Also, the initiating traumatic event sometimes occurs during sleep, especially in patients who manifest with nocturnal tooth grinding (bruxism), at which time the causative trauma would likely pass unnoticed.

The lip and gum ulcers are probably independent issues. Canker sores (aphthous ulcers) are generally of unknown cause, but are considered trivial unless particularly severe or incapacitating, or associated with a more systemic condition (e.g., Behçet's disease or Reiter's Syndrome). However, canker sores do not occur on gum tissue, so your gum ulcer represents something else. Due to the wide variety of conditions that can give rise to oral ulcers of similar appearance, it is not possible to infer the nature of your gum ulcer. Therefore, if it fails to heal, or worsens, or additional ulcerations occur, you should present to your dentist for additional diagnostic assessment.

Hope this helps...