Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
17394144

over the counter med for severe toothache pain

Category: Dental
Expert:  Jasleen Bagga replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

Toothache is a common problem and often, a warning of underlying dental problem.The most common causes of toothache are tooth decay, infection, cracked tooth, gum disease and infected dental pulp.

I would also suggest you to visit a dentist at the earliest as antibiotics and analgesics are basically used for prophylactic coverage for medically compromised patients and act as an adjunctive treatment for acute infections.

If money is a constraint, you could look for local dental schools or free dental camps for the same.

You could in go for warm saline rinses few times in a day.You need to keep good oral hygiene. For pain,you could take Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice daily for 3 days. If you have prescription for antibiotics or might have it in home from last treatment, you could take Amoxicillin 500 mg twice daily for 3 days.

An effective way to control dental pain is to switch between 400 mgs of Ibuprofen ( 2 tab of advil ) and 1000 mgs of acetaminophen ( Tylenol ) every 4 - 6 hours.

Do not take this medication if you had any adverse reactions in the past or you had gastritis or peptic ulcer or you have a liver disease.

For toothache, you could also use toothache drops available at the pharmacy store.This is clove oil which is very soothing to the exposed tooth.Place a couple of drops on a cotton pellet and place it on the tooth.

Be advised that if there is any swelling that appears on face or pain would not be controlled by any of the medications mentioned, you need to go to denist or ER ( emergency room ) ASAP.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Kindly Accept the Solution,if 100% Satisfied from my response.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience: B.D.S with 4 years of experience