Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have 2 red spots on the inside of my cheek. What could that

Customer Question

I have 2 red spots on the inside of my cheek. What could that be from
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

There are a wide variety of different pathological tissue conditions that could potentially present in a way consistent with your description-- anything from a vascular abnormality (e.g., hemangioma) to an inflammatory reactive lesion, such as a pyogenic granuloma. However, far and away the most common cause for red spots in the lining of the cheek is physical trauma from an accidental cheek bite. This is especially true for those red spots of acute onset-- i.e., those that arise suddenly and are of short duration, and those that are positioned approximately at the vertical level where the upper and lower teeth meet. In fact, it is interesting that these small areas of internal bleeding are not more common than they are, considering how frequently these tissues are placed in harm's way during normal chewing activity.

Of course, no conclusions can be made about the true nature of your red spots in the absence of any diagnostic information, but you can safely assume that they are trivial if they disappear within a few days. In the unlikely case that they do not quickly resolve, you should arrange for a diagnostic visit with your dentist for more formal assessment.

Hope this helps...