Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I have a small white "pimple like" lump on the roof of my mouth.

I have a small white "pimple like" lump on the roof of my mouth. It will pop and go away for 3-5 days if you pick at it but keeps coming back. In particular when eating/post eating. Its painless but just annoying. I went to the doctors and they said it was nothing to worry about and to try garguling burrocha 3 x per day. That hasn't helped really... Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Please provide additional information: is the lump toward the side near a tooth, or is it more toward the center mid-line? Is it more toward the front of the mouth, the middle, or the back? Providing a more precise location of the lump will help in determining its identity...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
More towards the mid-line. Very slight to the right of the mid-line. Its pretty much in the middle of the mouth too. Just where the roof of the mouth gets soft as opposed to the harder part behind the teeth. Hope that makes sense...
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Yes-- it does. Your description is strongly suggestive of a mucous retention cyst, or "mucocele". It is the result of rupture or blockage of the duct of one of the many tiny mucous glands in the roof of the mouth; another common location is the inside of the lower lip. The blockage causes the secretion of the gland to collect in a small blister, which if superficial, tends to rupture, empty, heal, and then re-form a few times.

Mucous retention cysts are trivial, but they can be a nuisance because they're annoying. Although most of them eventually resolve and don't return, some can be quite persistent. If the cyst is sufficiently annoying, the associated mucous gland can be removed in a minor surgical procedure, which is curative.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA