Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

the roof of my mouth (hard palate) is white. what could this

the roof of my mouth (hard palate) is white. what could this be? it has no bumps or red spots and im worried this could be cancer. im only 19 so i think i could be over worried but still. i had a dentist appointment yesterday and they never said anything about it, can i assume then its ok? do they check for cancer on regular 6 month check ups?
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Whiteness of the roof of your mouth could represent a number of different things-- anything from a "hyperkeratosis", which is the intra-oral equivalent of a callus on skin surfaces that receive frequent friction, to a yeast infection, to anemia. Because whiteness of the palate could represent a number of different things, the true nature of your observed whitening cannot be inferred.

Cancer on the roof of the mouth is relatively rare-- especially in a 19 year old. If you're concerned about oral cancer, you should think carefully about discontinuing the use of any tobacco products you may be using, and limit consumption of alcoholic beverages to reasonable amounts.

Although an assessment of the oral soft tissues is a required constituent of a formal dental examination, there is no way to know whether your dentist follows accepted protocol, much as I'd like to assume he does. Therefore, if you have any doubts as to what was assessed during your visit yesterday, you should ask him directly.

Hope this helps...