Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I have a skin flap inside my mouth. Its about half the size

I have a skin flap inside my mouth. It's about half the size of green pea, just hanging loose . Not inflamed. Doesn't hurt. I just don't like having it there. What kind of dental practitioner could remove this? Is it just a matter of some novacaine, snip snip, and a stitch? Or what?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Would you be able to provide a photograph of the involved area? You may use the "paper clip" icon on the text entry form toolbar to upload a digital picture. Alternatively, you may send your picture to a photo hosting site, such as Flickr or Photobucket, and provide a link to the picture in a reply to this information request.

If you are not able to provide a photograph, please give additional information:

• how long has this flap of "skin" been present?
  • please describe its location in your mouth, its size, shape, color, and surface texture.
  • indicate if it has changed in any way-- size, shape, consistency, surface texture, color-- since you first noticed it
  • indicate if there are any symptoms associated with this growth-- itching, pain, irritation.

This will allow me to provide a more accurate and relevant response...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After I uploaded the picture there was no room to write, so here's more:
been present about 1 year
size = 1/2 green pea
shape = mostly rounded
texture = as smooth as the rest of my oral interior
color = pink-ish
symptoms = none
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
This looks grossly like a benign growth-- probably either a fibroma or lipoma. A conclusive diagnosis will need to await a pathology report, which will probably be performed because it is normal protocol for excised tissue to be subjected to microscopic assessment. This is a procedure that is done on an outpatient basis, using local anesthetic (i.e., "novocaine"), and the surgical incision would probably be closed with one or two self-dissolving stitches.

The removal of growths like these would normally be performed by an oral surgeon. Your general dentist can provide you with a referral, or you can consult the online directory of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons for contact information for an oral surgeon near you.

Hope this helps...