Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I have a skin flap inside my mouth. Its about half the size

I have a skin flap inside my mouth. It's about half the size of green pea, just hanging loose . Not inflamed. Doesn't hurt. I just don't like having it there. What kind of dental practitioner could remove this? Is it just a matter of some novacaine, snip snip, and a stitch? Or what?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Would you be able to provide a photograph of the involved area? You may use the "paper clip" icon on the text entry form toolbar to upload a digital picture. Alternatively, you may send your picture to a photo hosting site, such as Flickr or Photobucket, and provide a link to the picture in a reply to this information request.

If you are not able to provide a photograph, please give additional information:

• how long has this flap of "skin" been present?
  • please describe its location in your mouth, its size, shape, color, and surface texture.
  • indicate if it has changed in any way-- size, shape, consistency, surface texture, color-- since you first noticed it
  • indicate if there are any symptoms associated with this growth-- itching, pain, irritation.

This will allow me to provide a more accurate and relevant response...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After I uploaded the picture there was no room to write, so here's more:
been present about 1 year
size = 1/2 green pea
shape = mostly rounded
texture = as smooth as the rest of my oral interior
color = pink-ish
symptoms = none
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
This looks grossly like a benign growth-- probably either a fibroma or lipoma. A conclusive diagnosis will need to await a pathology report, which will probably be performed because it is normal protocol for excised tissue to be subjected to microscopic assessment. This is a procedure that is done on an outpatient basis, using local anesthetic (i.e., "novocaine"), and the surgical incision would probably be closed with one or two self-dissolving stitches.

The removal of growths like these would normally be performed by an oral surgeon. Your general dentist can provide you with a referral, or you can consult the online directory of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons for contact information for an oral surgeon near you.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA