Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

my 4 year old son has a bump on his gums above his two top

my 4 year old son has a bump on his gums above his two top front teeth. It looks to be filled with fluid but he states it doesnt hurt
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Notwithstanding the absence of pain, the emergence of a fluid-filled bump over an upper incisor tooth almost certainly represents an abscess from one of those incisors. Typically, this occurs following a traumatic blow to one of these teeth, which are vulnerable to frequent injury due to their prominent position, which exposes them to accidental bumps. It is not uncommon for the offending tooth to become slightly darker than the adjacent teeth in the course of events like these.

Although there is little risk of injury to the adjacent developing permanent incisor inside the gum, neither is it a good idea to leave the infection untreated. You should have your son assessed by a pediatric dentist to determine whether a formal intervention, which may include removal of the tooth, would be prudent.

If your son is not already under the care of a pediatric dentist, you can find contact information for one in your community by referring to the online directory of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry.

Hope this helps...