Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have a large red bump under my tongue...help

Customer Question

Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--tell me as much as you can about the problem.
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Would you be able to provide a photograph of the involved area? You may use the "paper clip" icon on the text entry form toolbar to upload a digital picture. Alternatively, you may send your picture to a photo hosting site, such as Flickr or Photobucket, and provide a link to the picture in a reply to this information request. Also, please indicate how long this lump has been present, and whether and how it has changed since you first discovered it.

This will allow me to provide a more accurate and relevant response...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
You did not specify how long that red bump has been there. May I assume that it only emerged recently-- within the last day or two? If so, this is almost certainly a hematoma, or "blood blister", caused by an accidental bite injury. These lumps occur suddenly, and may persist for a few days as they slowly shrink and heal. Small hematomas such as these require no treatment.

If, on the other hand, this lump has been there for a while and doesn't go away within a few days, it may represent a different type of vascular lesion-- perhaps a hemangioma. I would deem this unlikely, but if this bump does persist for over two weeks, you should arrange to have it examined by an oral surgeon. You can find contact information for an oral surgeon near you by consulting the online directory of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
SO actually overnight it has shrunk and now just looks like a white sort of flap of skin. Is this normal for one of the situations you previously described?
Yes-- in many cases, when a hematoma is superficial (close to the surface), it will rupture, evacuating its contained clotted blood; the edge of the blood blister may remain attached, which is the "flap of skin" to which you refer.

Your description is consistent with my previous presumptive diagnosis of hematoma. This is trivial, and will heal by itself-- provided you take care not to re-injure the area. Chew carefully, and avoid hard foods while it is still healing.

Hope this helps. If my answer has been helpful, please remember to click "accept".
Good luck!