Dr. Mitch
Dr. Mitch, Dentist
Experience:  DMD General Dentist Private Practice Over 20 yrs.

I have a small abscess on my gum but cannot afford to pay the

Customer Question

I have a small abscess on my gum but cannot afford to pay the £17 fee, Is there another way to treat the abscess myself but I am not in any pain. Thanks
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I will be happy to answer your question.

You can rinse with very warm salt water 2-3 times per day to try and make the abscess drain. The temperature of the salt water should be a hot as you can tolerate. It must be understood that the source of the infection must be addressed or the abscess will never go away. Pain is not a good indicator of the severity of the infection. An abscess can be very advanced and cause no pain. If left untreated the abscess will continue to worsen and eventually will cause bone loss and could become a systemic infection. You need to see a dentist as soon as you can for definitive treatment.

I hope this helps
Dr. Mitch, Dentist
Experience: DMD General Dentist Private Practice Over 20 yrs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My heart has been racing a lot recently while having the small abscess but I am not sure if its connected to it or not as I do suffer from asthima, I cannot afford dental treatment until the 23rd Dec when I get payed. What should I do but I do have Amoxcillin Antibiotics and should I go to the doctor. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can take the amoxicillin. The usual dose for an abscess is 500mg three times per day for 7-10 days. The antibiotics will help control the abscess but as stated before you must see a dentist for definitive treatment as soon as you can. If your condition worsens or does not improve within 48 hours after taking the antibiotics you should seek the help of a medical doctor or dentist.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would 2 weeks from now to get definitive treatment be OK but I am waiting for my doctor to call me as there is a late doctors service after hours so may go to the A&E as my heart seems to be beating a lot tonight but it has been for about a week. Many Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 2 years ago.
If you respond to the antibiotics and you have no other options you will probably be ok to wait the two weeks. But, if your abscess does not respond to the antibiotics you should seek help from your doctor.

I hope this helps.