Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

My tooth that had a crown just fell out post and all. My dentist

Customer Question

My tooth that had a crown just fell out post and all. My dentist isnt available until Tuesday is there anything i should do until I can get in there?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mariana replied 5 years ago.
I am here to help you.
The most important issue is to try to keep it as clean as possible.
Before eating anything, place a "pellet" size cotton inside the cavity left by the post. There are 2 other possibilities.
There are some commercially available kits that are offered to try to help you place a temporary filling or glue a cap back . CVS offers one. Here is the link

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=695108&productId=695108

You can also try something like a denture adhesive (such as Fixodent). You need to clean it out really well and let it dry. Use a cotton swab to clean and dry off your natural tooth Then place a small amount of fixodent only on the crown part of the actual crown and slip it back into the opening for it. Be careful not to get any material on the post part of the crown, this will need to remain clean to be re-cemented later.

IMPORTANT!!!

Do not use super glue, this material is toxic

I hope this helps!!
Dr Mariana Levy
Over 20 years of experience in private practice and university settings. También hablo Español
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

I would recommend that you make no attempt to re-cement your post-crown. Granted, if this is a front tooth, there may be a cosmetic liability, but the fact that this tooth had a post indicates that the tooth previously received root canal therapy, so there is no vital pulp remaining in the tooth that will require protection, and the tooth is likely to be more comfortable without the crown than with it, especially if the root has developed a crack.

The danger is that a temporarily post-crown may become dislodged, and if it is swallowed, the sharp contours of the post may cause it to become impacted in your digestive tract, with risk of significant morbidity. Therefore, you should simply keep your post-crown in a safe place so that it is not lost, and bring it with you to your next dental appointment so that it can be re-cemented its condition and the condition of the tooth merits that action.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA