DrBailey
DrBailey, Dentist
Experience:  Graduated from CWRU School of Dental Medicine. 13 years of private dental practice experience.
52846829

how can I remove excess glue from denture after replacing

how can I remove excess glue from denture after replacing tooth?
Category: Dental
Expert:  DrBailey replied 5 years ago.

DrBailey :

If you replaced the tooth yourself using super glue, it is very difficult to remove the excess glue without damaging the acrylic of the denture itself. Over time the extra glue will start to flake off and you may be able to smooth it with a small emery board. Be careful not to damage the tooth or the denture, only the glue.

DrBailey :

If your tooth was repaired by a dentist or dental lab and 'glue' is remaining on the denture, I would take it back and have them polish the area more fully.

Customer:

I replaced the tooth myself about 3 months ago and it fell out again. do I have to remove the old glue from the denture before reattaching the tooth. It is a front tooth?

DrBailey :

if you do not remove the old glue the tooth will not fit properly in the socket. Repairs with glue, as you found out, usually dont last more than a few months at best. Sometimes the tooth fell out originally because the bite from opposing teeth is too strong in that area. A temporary repair with glue usually wont hurt anything but its always best to have it professionally repaired when possible.

Customer:

Thank you. I wll replac the tooth again and have it professionally replaced as soon as I have a chance.