Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

how can i reduce swelling in my cheek do to bad tooth. i have

how can i reduce swelling in my cheek do to bad tooth. i have an appointment on tues am(3 days). i'm not sure if hot or cold compress is best.
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

The best way to reduce swelling is to soften the tissues surrounding the abscess to promote evacuation of purulent exudate. This can be accomplished by rinsing with hot salt water solution: dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as you can tolerate without scalding your mouth, and rinse for two minutes at least once very 3-4 hours.

It is always best to err on the side of caution-- if infection is accompanied by severe swelling, fever, or other constitutional symptoms, you should seek prompt care in a hospital emergency room or acute care facility.

Hope this helps...