Dr. Mitch
Dr. Mitch, Dentist
Experience:  DMD General Dentist Private Practice Over 20 yrs.

bump on upper gum nerve

I have a bump that is sensitive to touch on the upper gum line where the gum connects to the skin of your cheek (in other words, as far north of the tooth as you can get). This nerve sensitivity has occurred off and on for years (it is above a tooth I had a root canal and crown on). As of recently, I have actually felt a bump there that was never there before. It only really bothers me if I run my finger over it, but it is way sensitive!! I have recently gone for catscans and MRIs (which have come back clean) for eye issues that are on the same side as this. I have no idea if there is a connection or if it's completely coincidental, but either way, what could this bump be caused from?  should I see a dentist or orthodontist for this issue?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I will be happy to answer your question.

You need to make an appointment with an Endodontist (root canal specialist) to evaluate if the old root canal has failed or if there is a micro crack in one of the roots. A failed root canal will present with symptoms as you have described with a bump that comes and goes. The endodontist will be able to tell you if the old root canal can be retreated or if additional treatment will be needed.

Here is a link to the American Association of Endodontist to find an Endodontist in your area.

http://www.aae.org/

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could you tell me what it means to have a "failed root canal"? I was always under the impression that when you have a root canal done, they remove the root from the tooth, in turn there should be no nerve there? could this mean I still have root or nerve in the tooth?
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 2 years ago.
when a root canal is done the nerve is removed and a material called gutta percha is cemented in the vacant canals of the root of the tooth where the nerve once occupied. Over time the cement can loosen or degrade and this will allow bacteria to enter the canals. If this happens a new abscess can form. Sometimes a crack can form in a root and will allow bacteria to enter the canals via the crack. An endodontis will be able to tell you if this may be what is causing the bump (abscess).

I hope this helps.
Dr. Mitch, Dentist
Experience: DMD General Dentist Private Practice Over 20 yrs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much! I am willing to bet this is what happened! I did have a small chip in the crown that I went to my dentist for over the summer. He of course assured me that the chip was basically superficial and that the crown was not compromised, but at this point I am not so sure. I will make an appointment with an endodontist. Thank you very much for your help!!
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome and good luck.