Dr. Mitch
Dr. Mitch, Dentist
Experience:  DMD General Dentist Private Practice Over 20 yrs.

is augmentin a good antibiotic for toothaches if not what is

Customer Question

is augmentin a good antibiotic for toothaches if not what is a good one i cant afford the dentist right now and have two different antibiotics augmentin and keflex which if any would help
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Mitch : I will be happy to help you.
Dr. Mitch : Augmentin is a good antibiotic to treat a dental infection.
Dr. Mitch : Keep in mind the antibiotics will help control the infection but will not cure the infection alone.
Dr. Mitch : I hope this helps.
JACUSTOMER-3gipsf3o- :

this was somewhat helpful. it is ok to take the augmentin, but i dont understand the part about, " antibiotics will control the infection but not cure the infection." i know either the tooth needs a filling or cut out... if that is what you meant by not curing the infection. i just need the antibiotic to minimize the pain and swelling and then treat with the toothache gum as a temp filling until i can get into an oral surgeon to get it taken out. thanks for your time

Dr. Mitch : Correct. I meant that if you only take the antibiotics and do not eventually have the tooth extracted or a root canal done that the antibiotics will temporarily make the infection go away and it will surface again at a later date.
Dr. Mitch : And yes, it is ok to take the Augmentin and it should help.
Dr. Mitch : I hope this helps.