Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have a severe gum infection after I had my tooth pulled out

I have a severe gum infection after I had my tooth pulled out and another dentist prescribed for me two antibiotic types one is Augmentin 625 mg tablets and Suprazole 200 mg and today I had my final dose of each kind. The infection has decreased but it is still there. Should I be on another course of antibiotics or what exactly should I do?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Please provide additional information:

• When was the tooth extracted?
  • How long after the extraction did the infection first become manifest?
  • Please describe fully the manner in which the infection was manifest (e.g., swelling, pain, pus, lymph gland swelling, fever, prostration)
  • Please describe fully the criteria you have used to determine that your infection is still active.
  • Please indicate whether you are under continued surveillance by an oral surgeon, or any other type of doctor (please specify what type of doctor).
  • Please indicate whether you currently have any chronic disease or disorder which may be contributing to the persistence of your infection.
This information will allow me to provide a more accurate and relevant response...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the tooth was extracted 11 days ago. before it was extracted I had a mild swelling and the dentist insisted that it was ok to extract it at this condition and refused to prescribed antibiotics. Three or four days after the extraction I felt swelling and noticed black and white spots on infected Gum area with severe pain starting from my head and down to my neck and right ear. I went then to a specialized dentist and she told me that it was a deep infection and it will take some time to heal and prescribed me two types of antibiotics. Now I feel much better than I used to even my gum looks alot better than before but the infection still remains. I haven't had fever or lymph gland swelling even before I had taken any antibiotics. I'm not an expert but from the look at it as I said before the infection is still active, I still see some whiteness on the gum, there is absolutely swelling too and the amount of pain is only reduced by 50%, and as far as I know I have no chronic disease or any type of disorder to prevent the antibiotics from working. I exercise everyday and in perfect shape
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no answer was received
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
I apologize for the delay-- I have a full schedule of patients today, and am trying to answer during down-time.

The 11-day time frame is too short to conclude that the infection remains. Even when infection is eliminated, there still remains some residual inflammation from the infection and from the original surgical intervention. The improvement in the symptoms is strong evidence that the infection has resolved, even if some swelling and discomfort remain, because the healing process must continue several weeks-- especially after a severe infection of the kind suggested by your description. The accumulated exudate also takes time to be absorbed, especially if a formal incision and drainage was not performed. Whiteness of the gum is typical for these extraction wounds; it is the appearance that results from the residuals of the fibrin blood clot as it is exposed to saliva, and is normal, given the clinical history of your intervention.

If you have any doubts about residual infection, I would urge you to return to the oral surgeon for a postoperative assessment. However, your description suggests that the infection has in fact resolved, even though it may take several weeks for healing of the extraction wound to close completely.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA