Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

If my bridge breaks off, taking off one of the teeth that was

If my bridge breaks off, taking off one of the teeth that was holding the bridge in place, can the bridge be saved. For example, can a post be placed instead of the tooth to hold the bridge? Thanks for your help.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Whether or not the bridge can be salvaged would depend on whether the tooth broke within the crown, or whether the break occurred on the root beyond the crown margins. It would also depend on whether the part of the broken tooth that is still in your gums is decayed.

If the entire interior of the fixed bridge crown is filled with tooth structure, or if there is decay on the root face in your gum, it is unlikely that your bridge can be re-used, because the margins of the abutment crowns will not seal against the root face.

I'd like to present a more optimistic outlook, but when bridges break in the manner in which you describe, the probability is that the bridge will no longer be reliable, even if it can be re-used. Therefore, just because a bridge can be re-cemented doesn't mean it should be re-cemented, because you have better things to do than wonder when the bridge will loosen and fall off again, which will be a continued possibility.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Aftershave treating the decay, can there be a post to hold the bridge? There is no matter left in the bridge.
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
That would depend on the conditions I set forth above. Not all teeth have sufficient structural or periodontal strength to justify the effort.

This would need to be determined by an assessment of both the bridge and the abutment teeth. Your dentist would make that determination in the course of a formal diagnostic session.

Hope this helps. If my answer has been helpful, please remember to click "accept".
Good luck!