Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience

I have a tooth that is pounding - I have penicillin vk 500

I have a tooth that is pounding - I have penicillin vk 500 mg in house that the dentist gave to me last time this happened.... It saids to take one tablet 4x a day. I cannot memory if its for 7 days..... can you advise (my script is fulled for 90 days).
Thank you
Category: Dental
Expert:  Jasleen Bagga replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

I am sorry to hear regarding the trouble.

Be advised that as i do not have any luxury to examine your tooth and have a look at the radiographic x ray, i would not be able to provide any legitimate 2nd opinion regarding treatment protocol, however would be able to provide some inputs to the question posted.

The dosage of an antibiotic depends upon many factors including the severity of an infection. It is always advisable to consult your dentist before you initiate any antibiotic regime.Antibiotic therapy would be be there as an adjunct to control the infection. Unnecessary popping pf antibiotics is never recommended.

However, for Penicillin VK - a general outline is 250 - 500 mg every six hours for 7 - 10 days ( for dental infections including dental abscesses, infections around wisdom teeth, infections that develop after dental surgery, periodontal infections and pericornitis ).

If you have Penicillin VK 500 mg, most of us do recommend a course of 7 days. Be advised this is a generic response as there is no way for me to have a look at your case history.

Note - Make sure that medication is not expired and it would take 48 - 72 hours before this antibiotic would kick in.

In the meanwhile i would recommend you to arrange an appointment with your dentist for the follow up procedure.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Kindly Accept the Solution,if 100% Satisfied from my response.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.