Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

Blood Blister Under my tongue

Customer Question

I have a spot under my tongue of a "blood bubble" is this something to be concerned about?
I have pictures for a visualization that can be found at 

Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

The blister-like lesion appears to be a mucous retention cyst. This issue is usually the result of either physical injury or blockage of a salivary gland duct, which causes the gland's secretion to collect in a bubble under the tissue surface.

Sometimes these cysts resolve on their own, but some are persistent. Although they are seldom serious, they can be uncomfortable, and can be inconvenient because they can be repeatedly bitten. If the bubble lasts for more than a couple of weeks, you should ask your dentist for a referral to an oral surgeon so that the cyst and associated gland can be surgically repaired.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this has been here for about a month...how long should i wait until i consult a dentist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for the diagnosing, yes after googling it, it does look like what you said. It is under my tongue and appeared about a week after going to the dentist for a regular routine checkup and cleaning, actually. Do i need to get it reevaluated? This takes some time in planning, because I am away at college and make appointments many days in advance on my school breaks
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
This type of thing is more of a nuisance than anything else, but it should be evaluated and treated.

You have already waited long enough-- as additional time passes, it becomes increasingly unlikely that this bubble will go away on its own. I believe you should consult with a dentist at your earliest convenience.

Hope this helps. If my answer has been helpful, please remember to click "accept"
Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks! what could it be caused from? drinking cold water, too much salt?
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Given the emergence of this symptoms within a short time after your dental visit, it is most likely that some minor injury during the treatment session caused a tear in one of the small salivary gland ducts. This might happen, for instance, if the saliva ejector-- the suction tube that rests in the floor of the mouth-- sucks up a bit of the soft tissue into its aperture, and the tube is forcefully withdrawn. I'm speculating, but something like that may have been the initiating event.

Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
some more history: dont know if it relates to this issue or not:
sinus problems(have a lot of allergy issues), thyroid problems(underactive thyroid but on medicine), herpes virus(get cold sores all the time, also have had seizures and herpes eye infections), lack of vitamins?-just started taking a multi vitamin--what im getting at is what caused this. I do not have any mouth piercings
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it something serious that has to be removed before christmas?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also forgot to mention that it started bleeding last night, but is the same size in diameter today...it is just very uncomfortable especially when i think about it
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
It is unlikely that any of these other health issues are relevant to the development of a mucous retention cyst; this lesion is almost always caused by local minor injury.

This is a trivial issue, and it is at worst a nuisance. There is no urgency to this problem, and it can await a time when it is convenient for you.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks! a few days later and it has become smaller. I will address this with my dentist on christmas break, when i have my checkup
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome!

Keep in mind that mucous retention cysts do tend to get larger and smaller over time, as they sometimes evacuate their contents and re-fill. Although they sometimes go away on their own, they more commonly follow a more persistent cyclical pattern. Therefore, you should maintain your plans to consult with your dentist.

Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so true...it went away and then came back today...is there any factors that determine when they appear and disappear?
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 2 years ago.
It really just comes down to how quickly the wall of the duct heals. After the cyst ruptures, it will continue to drain through the tear in the duct wall or the tear in the mucous membrane; as long as that tear remains open, the secretions of the associated gland can escape, and no blister forms. As soon as the tissue heals over, the secretion is contained, and the blister will re-form, because the associated gland will continuously produce additional secretion.

There is really little you can do to control the speed and frequency of the re-emergence of the cyst. I really cannot recommend that you attempt to drain the cyst yourself, because there is risk of injury, infection, bleeding, and may even make matters worse if you unintentionally injure another gland. This is something that is best left alone until you can have it properly treated by a surgeon.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there any risk in leaving the cyst as be(rupture and rerupture on its own) until next spring(my next dentist appointment) spring of 2012
Is there any risk? Certainly, there would be some risk-- risk of discomfort, risk of accidentally and repeatedly biting the area while chewing food, risk of bleeding or infection. The primary risk is the continued inconvenience and discomfort. You'll need to decide for yourself whether the advantages of postponement are sufficient justification for enduring that discomfort for that amount of time.

Hope this helps...