Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

Why have the base oc my gums turned dark red and the top are

Customer Question

Why have the base oc my gums turned dark red and the top are pink?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Would it be possible for you to provide a photograph of the involved area? You may upload a digital photo by clicking the "paper clip" icon on the text entry form toolbar; alternatively, you may send your photo to a photo hosting site, such as Flickr or Photobucket, and provide a link to the photo in a reply to this information request.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do not have that option available right now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am still here waiting for your reply
Without a photo, I will need to speculate. However, your description suggests that you may have inflammatory periodontal disease. Other possibilities include a variety of muco-cutaneous disorders that manifest as "desquamative gingivitis"; these disorders include lichen planus, mucous membrane pemphigoid, lupus, pemphigus vulgaris, or Crohn's disease.

Because these disorders are all very different from each other, and each require very different therapeutic approaches, your first task will be to identify the nature of the disorder underlying your complaint. Therefore, you will need to schedule a diagnostic visit with your dentist; he may choose to refer you to a specialist if he deems it appropriate.

Hope this helps...