Dr Aldrich
Dr Aldrich, Dentist
Experience:  General Dentist since 1999, in solo practice since 2000. Has Fellowship from Academy of General Dentistry.

I have a rawness somewhat painful inflammation inside my mouth.

I have a rawness somewhat painful inflammation inside my mouth. On the inside of my upper and a little bit on my lower lip. I initially thought it might be an allergic reaction as there was some sweelling in my lips. no itch though. As the sweeling subsided the rawness appeared. It is especially noticeable on the flap of skin connecting the gum and lip together above front teeth. Any idea what might be causing this and what i can do to relieve it. I have had allergic reactions that caused itching and swelling of the lips but never a residual rawness, and like I mentioned, this never really itched much. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Aldrich replied 5 years ago.

That little attachment from your gum to your lip is a little muscle and we call it a frenum. These can get damaged pretty easily from foods or getting bumped in the mouth. That could be why it's inflamed, raw, and sore, but not itchy. I don't think it's from an allergy, I think this time it's from trauma. Maybe corn on the cob, apples, chewy wings, granola bar,hard hoagey sandwich, etc can stick in front of those front teeth and damage that muscle. I see this all the time.

This usually takes 3-5 days to go away. If you rinse with warm salt water, that should help clear out your mouth of the bacteria and help the tissue heal.

Hope this helps- if so, click "accept"

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would this also explain the swelling? i assume so. it is a little swollen and very red.