Dr. Mitch
Dr. Mitch, Dentist
Experience:  DMD General Dentist Private Practice Over 20 yrs.
27571417

hi, my 6 year old has shown me a lump on his gum along the

hi,

my 6 year old has shown me a lump on his gum along the ridge. it is about 0.5 cm in diameter, there is no pain when touching, it feels boggy almost like it has fluid in , no bleeding or evidence of puss. He is a little vage in how long he has had this. he has not been complaing of pain and is happy sat munching on a apple. I am going to phone the dentists in the morning but was wondering if you have any ideas to put me at ease?

Thank you, zoe
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Mitch :

Hi, I will be happy to answer your question.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Mitch :

Is the lump behind his baby tooth on the gum(ridge)?

Customer:

no, above a baby tooth, on the hard ridge, not the edge.

Dr. Mitch :

so the lump is or appears associated with the tooth location and not in an empty space?

Customer:

yes its on the outsied of the upper gum. he has not lost or got any lose teeth in this area.

Dr. Mitch :

Is there a cavity or dark spot or hole in the tooth?

Customer:

not that i can see.

Dr. Mitch :

From your description it sounds like there may be cavity that you cant see possibly originating from the inside of the tooth , that has infected the nerve of the tooth and formed a gum boil abscess. Does your child have his 6yr permanent molars erupted??

Customer:

sorry for being dence. molars? are they the side teeth. he has only lost his 2 lower teeth and apperes to have all the otheres that i would expect.

Customer:

just managed to get a better light in there. think you have sussed it. inbetween his two teeth at the insied of the gum there is a small black spot, just given it a better clean and no change, no pain.

Dr. Mitch :

If there is a hole in the tooth then it has likely abscessed from the decay or there is food caught in the gum because of the hole and there is tissue irritation. There is no real way to tell without a radiograph. You should make an appointment to see your dentist to have this accessed and treated. I hope this helps.

Customer:

thank you. will do first thing. plymouth uk has no fluoride in the water so we use an adult toothpaste with 1450ppm and a mouthwash. for a 6 year old he is very good about brushing as he had a bad experiance at the dentist and doesnt want to go back. apart from me washing his teeth to make sure we get the back, what else can we do?

Dr. Mitch :

Discuss with your dentist possibly a fluoride gel that is a prescription. Avoid sugary foods and sodas. Limit chips and candy. also, some juices are very acidic, like apple juice and should be limited or diluted slightly with water. I hope this helps. See your dentist as soon as possible.

Customer:

many thanks. will need to reviwe the fruit jucies!!

Dr. Mitch, Dentist
Experience: DMD General Dentist Private Practice Over 20 yrs.