Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
17394144

About 3 weeks ago, the side of my lower second molar broke

About 3 weeks ago, the side of my lower second molar broke away down to the gumline. It had an old silver amalgam filling that lasted for almost 30 years. My dentist said that since that side of the tooth was broken down to the gumline, there wasn't enough to securely place a crown on and therefore a root canal was necessary. There is no infection or damage to the nerve. Since the tooth is currently healthy, is there another alternative to keeping it that way?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Jasleen Bagga replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

I am sorry to hear regarding the trouble.

Be advised that as without the opportunity to examine your tooth clinically and look at the x- ray, i would not qualify as a legitimate 2nd opinion.However, i could only add some inputs to the diagnosis.

As the chipping is more, a post would be required and a core/build-up material will be placed to reconstruct the missing tooth structure so that a crown can be placed.If a post and core/build-up is needed, then the tooth will need root canal treatment. Because without doing so, we would have no where to stick the post into. So if the tooth has not been root canal treated, then that will need to be done prior to post and build-up placement and then we can restore the tooth with a crown.Unfortunately, there is no by pass or alternative for this.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Kindly Accept the Solution,if 100% Satisfied from my response.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The middle of the tooth still has silver filling intact and half of the tooth exterior is still good. I have already gotten 2 opinions on this. My regular dentist did not say I needed a root canal prior to restoring the tooth with a crown. He crowned the tooth right next to it about 10 years ago. Apparently he thought he could securely seat a crown this newly broken tooth on whatever is left of it. The second opinion dentist said I needed the root canal for same reason that you stated. I have read so many bad patient experiences with root canals, that I am afraid to do it if it is not necessary. The tooth does not hurt and is not sensitive to cold or heat. I'd rather take a conservative approach if possible. Isn't there a way to seal the broken area so there would be no decay? If you count the remaining tooth and filling there is about 70 percent of it still intact. Would replacing the old filling and building up the side with composite filling material work?

Thanks for your response!!

Unfortunately, as i do not have luxury to examine your tooth clinically, there is no way for me to confirm whether crown could be placed on the left over structure or you need to have a root canal to get it fixed. However, on most occasions when the tooth is broken down to a gumline, root canal is required. I agree that you are looking for a conservative approach, however if the tooth structure needs to be built, there is no other alternative.

The best i could advise is to consult another dentist of repute with your x - rays and confirm, what do he recommend and then take a decision from there.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience: B.D.S with 4 years of experience