Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

part of my front crown broke off, just 1/2 of a tooth. anything

Customer Question

part of my front crown broke off, just 1/2 of a tooth. anything i can use to fill the hole until i see the dentist next week
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Although you can use any of the temporary dental cements that are available over the counter at your local pharmacy, it is unlikely that you will be able to do more than just cover the exposed parts of the tooth. You will not be able to make any type of temporary crown that will stay affixed to the tooth in a reliable or esthetic way. (If you do find the fragment of broken crown, you may be able to re-attach it cyanoacrylate cement-- i.e., Crazy Glue-- if you are able to care fully re-position it in place-- take care not to glue your finger to your tooth.)

A better strategy would be to prevail upon your dentist to see you in a more timely fashion; he may be able to provide a more reliable temporary fix until he has enough time in his schedule to may a formal repair.

Hope this helps...