What are the causes for blood in the mouth in the morning?

Customer Question

What causes blood in mouth when waking up in morning. Its like I swish around and do a sucking of my gums and more blood comes out. It goes away after I stop sucking on my gums. I do see what looks to be a cut on side of inside mouth. It never bleeds throughout the day. Could I be aggravating it while I sleep??

Category: Dental
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 5 years ago.

It could be from the cut. How long has this cut been there?
Any cough or other symptoms?

A cut that persists needs to be examined. Why is it not healing?

Is it infection, a lesion like oral cancer, etc?
Another possibility is gum disease, and this would be a common reason for the symptoms you describe.
See a dentist who could look at both lesions and tell you what is going on
Good luck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just some acid reflux. Also I've developed a need to take in deep breaths. I think its an axiety thing that has turned into a real bad habit. I always take deep breaths when I think about it. I'm not out of breath though.

Acid reflux can cause aspiration into the lungs and cause a sense of shortness of breath. It can also cause erosions in the oesophagus and sores in the mouth and either one might account for the symptoms you have. As well as the possibility of gum disease as I mentioned in my above answer as well.
See your GI doctor first.
Good luck

Let me know if you have further questions