Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I had a crown put on a month ago and now Im experiencing pain

Customer Question

I had a crown put on a month ago and now I'm experiencing pain and pressure, what could it be
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

The delayed onset of pain following the placement of a crown implies pulpitis-- an inflammation of the dental pulp. This is not an unusual event, because any tooth sufficiently damaged to require a crown is also by inference vulnerable to the injurious effects on the pulp of the same structural damage. Because of this, it is not uncommon for teeth that have received crowns to require subsequent root canal therapy. Your symptoms suggest that your case falls into this category, and you will likely need to have a root canal treatment.

Until you can contact your dentist, you should make generous use of over the counter pain medications. An effective regimen involves the alternation every four hours between 400 milligrams of ibuprofen and 1000 milligrams acetaminophen. Please note that this regimen is inappropriate for patients with a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease. You should not exceed 3000 milligrams of acetaminophen in any 24-hour period, nor should you consume any alcoholic beverages while taking acetaminophen, in order to avoid liver injury. If this regimen is insufficient to control your pain, you should contact your dentist at his emergency phone number for more aggressive pain management.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is it true that since i had to wait due to family issues to get the permanent crown on that my teeth shifted although thetemporary was on the whole time for 9 months
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 5 years ago.
The delay may have contributed to the onset of pulpitis, because the cements used to attach temporary crowns is softer than permanent cement. Temporary cements have only short-term durability, and can wash out from under a temporary crown, which exposes the tooth to bacterial irritation.

If at all possible, you should attempt to contact your dentist over the weekend so that he can provide supportive care and pain management.

Good luck!