Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I recently noticed white spots on my gums.

Hello

I recently noticed white spots on my gums. They are flat and not at all painful.They are present on the top and bottom and both sides. I asked my doctor about them and he said they didn't look like anything bad just like muscos membranes. I looked at my husbands mouth and he too had these tiny white spots. They look a little rough but they don't feel rough when you touch them. Some of his looks like little round circles and others are irregular in shape. His too are on the top and bottom and both sides of his gums. I tend to worry alot and I just wander what excatly theses are. I also looked online and they don't look like any of the oral cancer photos or leuplakia because my husband use to chew but recently quit.Thanks for a fast reply.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 3 years ago.

How do these not look like leukoplakia? Did these just occur?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No they don't look like leupkaia at all. I asked my doctor and he said they didn't look like plaque. I am not sure I think they have been like this for a long time I just never noticed them. I am more so worried about my husbands because he use to chew but he went to the dentist a few weeks ago and he said everything looked good. So I assume since there in both of us and all over the gums it has been this way for awhile.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are not elevated and not bright white like the online pictures of leuplakia look like. I also asked my doctor if they looked like plaque and he said no they didn't so that is why I don't think they are leuplakia. Plus they are very tiny and you need a flashlight to notice them and the difference in color from what my normal gums look like.
OK--but leukoplakia are flat white areas of the oral mucosa, so I don't think we can just rule that out. Lichen planus is another possibility and that's not a precancerous condition like leukoplakia. Thrush--yeast infection--is another consideration and that would be the only thing that could potentially affect you and your husband. BotXXXXX XXXXXne here--both of you need to have a dermatologist or an ear, nose, and throat specialist take a look at this. I just noticed your last posting, and herpes is another consideration.
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok Thanks
Keep me posted
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My doctor didn't see to concerned at all and said it didn't look like anything bad. Also my husband just saw his dentist and he said it looked great. If it was something bad don't you think one of the two of them would have caught this and refered us to someone else.
Well, my only problem here is I can't examine the two of you myself. One thing I will say is you must still be concerned if you came here even after being told not to worry about this. I wouldn't consider a dentist as a final authority on problems outside the tooth area.
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 3 years ago.
Would it be possible for you to provide a photograph of the involved area? You may use the "paper clip" icon on the text entry form toolbar to upload a digital photograph. Alternatively, you may upload your photo to a photo hosting site, such as Flickr or Photobucket, and provide a link to the photo in a reply to this information request.

This will allow me to provide a more accurate and relevant response...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes here is the links to photobucket. The first photo is of my husbands gums and the next two are of mine. You can't really see the tiny spots, but you can see how the gums have a white line through out them. Thanks for looking.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/029.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/004.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/008.jpg
I appreciate the effort, but would it be possible to provide photos that are a bit clearer? If your camera doesn't have a macro lens for close-up photos, you can take the picture from a greater distance to improve the clarity of the photos. It won't matter if the photos are smaller, as long as they're clearer...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/002.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/005-1.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/003.jpg
I dont have a macro lens so this is about the best I can get.Hope this works. Thanks.
I just want to make sure I'm looking at the same white spots to which your question pertains. Are they the areas I have indicated with arrows on your photo? See:
White Spots with arrow annotation
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes that would be correct???
Well, there's a reason both you and your husband have the same white spots-- they are normal anatomic features of the mouth. It may not be customary for a lay person to ask to look inside other persons' mouths as I do, but if you did, you would see similar areas in every person's mouth-- at least, if their mouth was normal.

The area to which you refer is what dentist's refer to as "attached gingiva"-- an area of gum tissue that covers the prominent bone (the "alveolar process") that supports the roots of the teeth. The prominence of the bone (especially directly over the tooth roots), the dense fibrous nature of the gum tissue, and the normally thickened ("keratinized") surface together give the attached gingiva a whiter appearance than the adjacent, redder tissue (the alveolar mucosa). I don't mean to throw too much jargon at you, but these terms will assist you in searching the internet for additional photos that will corroborate the normal nature of your oral tissues.

Here is just one photo I immediately found (it demonstrates a periodontal diagnostic technique, but shows the typical appearance of the attached gingiva over the alveolar process)

graphicSo, my intent here is to put your mind at ease. Not only does your photo show a normal anatomic feature, but your gum tissues also look quite healthy.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much it does put my mind at ease. Here I was worried over something that was normal, its always better to be for sure I guess. I appreciate you taking the time to look at the pictures and anwsere my questions.Thanks again.
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome!
If my answer has been helpful, please remember to click "accept".

Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer. I accepted Dr Chips answer at first but Mark Bornfeild answered my question later and I was much happier with his answer.He asked for a photo and looked into the issue to put my mind at ease when Dr. Chip just assumed the worse and was very short with me. I would like to pay Mark Bornfeild and request a refund from Dr Chip.Thanks.