Dr. Mitch
Dr. Mitch, Dentist
Experience:  DMD General Dentist Private Practice Over 20 yrs.

Smart Dentine Replacement (SDR) Composite

Customer Question

Can Smart Dentine Replacement (SDR) Composite be used without a capping composite.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Mitch :

Hi I will be happy to answer your question. SDR is a flowable composite liner that can be light cured up to 4mm in depth. It is usually used as a bulk fill dentin replacement and a regular( a harder) capping composite is placed on top. Flowable liners usually do not respond well to heavy wear areas and that is the reason a harder hybrid type composite is usually placed on top. That being said, if the cavity being filled is very small, or a groove of the tooth, or possibly just a root surface ares that is small, or a baby tooth, one might use only the SDR. hope this helps.

Dr. Mitch : Here is a link to the Dentsply website for further information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a filled 2nd molar. The tooth is approx 1/2 filling, and 1/2 tooth. The filling has come out several times, and this time the dentist has used SDR to fill, but not used a cap. The shape of the filling is lower than the upper teeth, so does not get direct contact. I am concerned that SDR will wear
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like a large filling and the tooth should probably have a crown placed on it. The only thing I would be concerned about is the strength of just the SDR. As far as bonding to the tooth it should bond with the same tenacity as a capping composite.
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 5 years ago.
I would also have concern about the wear with only SDR as the sole occluding composite. It really does sound like the tooth should be evaluated for crown coverage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I have had the filling replaced about 4 times. Each time the filling has come out in one piece after about 6 months. I will asked about crowning on my next check-up. Does a minimum amount of tooth need to be left to fit a crown? The filled side is down to the gumline.
Expert:  Dr. Mitch replied 5 years ago.
If there is one half natural tooth left then crowning should not be a problem. The margins of the crown can be placed slightly below the gum line if needed. Hope this helps.