Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

my teeth hurt when I chew. Is it posible that this will go

my teeth hurt when I chew. Is it posible that this will go away?
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Whether or not the sensitivity you feel will go away will depend on the reason for that sensitivity, and whether it requires and/or has received appropriate treatment.

The reasons for this symptom are many-- it can come from an acute injury, as might occur from a traumatic blow to the face, or biting down unexpectedly on an olive pit. In this case, the sensitivity will probably resolve without treatment if the severity of the blow was below the threshhold capable of infliciting irreversible injury to the tooth. If the severity exceeded that threshhold level, some type of treatment by your dentist may be necessary-- perhaps repair of a broken part of the tooth, or perhaps root canal therapy if the pulp has been damaged.

There are many other reasons for sensitivity to biting pressure as well-- reasons as diverse as inflammatory periodontal disease, to a fractured tooth, to a chronic jaw clenching/tooth grinding habit ("bruxism"), to even a case of chronic sinus infection. Some of these conditions require treatment for cure, while some of them may go away on their own.

If your sensitivity has persisted for more than two weeks, you should arrange for a diagnostic visit with your dentist. If deemed appropriate after that diagnostic effort, your dentist may refer you for specialty or medical consultation. This will ultimately determin whether and what treatment may be required to eliminate this symptom.

Hope this helps...