Dr. AL
Dr. AL, Dentist
Experience:  30 yrs. private practice, all phases. Member ADA, AGD, etc
21736000

The inside of my lower lip and down to where it joins my lower

The inside of my lower lip and down to where it joins my lower jaw feels rough and 'dry' - similar to the feeling after eating rhubarb. It has been like this for about 3 days and is getting more sore and drier. My tongue is also becoming sore but this may be because I am now conscious of the sensation on the inside of my lower lip and keep touching it with my tongue. If I am not speaking it feels like my lower lip 'sticks' to my lower teeth because of dryness. I am away from home for the next 2 months. Should I seek dental/medical help before then? I fell about 3 months ago and my teeth split both my upper and lower lips, however the resultant lumps have all but disappeared. I am female, 56 years old and take no medication other than Vals 160 for mild hypertension. Many thanks.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. AL replied 3 years ago.

Dr. AL :

Hello: I suspect you're experiencing a dry mouth in general. The lining of the mouth and all structures withing, teeth, tongue, palate, gums, etc, have to remain moist at all times. When they become dry. within hours they become inflamed and possibly swollen.

Dr. AL :

Many factors need to be considered just why your mouth is dry. Are you a mouth breather? Do you breathe with your mouth open? Is it worse in the morning after sleeping than during the day? Of course the easiest remedy is to close your mouth, lol, but being a habit it's much easier said than done.

Dr. AL :

Blood pressure medication has a tendency to dry the mouth. Discuss this with your physician.

Dr. AL :

Your salivary flow, and there's many salivary glands in the mouth, major glands as well as minor and ectopic glands, might be diminished. You might have a blocked gland from calcifications, but this condition usually presents with some discomfort. Age plays a role as well again, as does medications, alcohol and cigarettes.

Dr. AL :

You might be a bit dehydrated.

Dr. AL :

For a remedy, drink more water with a squeeze of lemon juice throughout the day. 8 glasses of water is recommended. Try this for a few days. Additionally, get some lemon drops to suck on throughout the day, diatetic if you have diabetes or are concerned about sugar consumption. Lemon stimulates the glands and aids in salivary flow.

Dr. AL :

If nothing seems to be working, you can see you dentist to evaluate why you're having this problem, or your physician to rule out any medical cause.

Dr. AL :

But, as you can see, the cause can be a multitude of factors to consider.

Dr. AL :

Water and lemon juice should give you some relief, but may be temporary. If you find this to be the case, I highly recommend seeing your health care professionals.

Dr. AL :

If I"ve been helpful, please "accept", and thank you.

Customer:

Thank you for your reply but, unfortunately, your reply hasn't helped - maybe I didn't explain the problem adequately. My mouth isn't at all dry - the inside of my lower lip is not slippery like the rest of my mouth and feels and with my tongue i can feel vertical 'wrinkles' running from my lip down towards my chin. I have adequate saliva in my mouth; it's not worse at any particular time of the day; I'm not diabetic and I have been taking the same blood pressure tablets for years without any adverse affects. The only thing I didn't mention is that I have had extremely swollen ankles/legs for the last month - but then I can't imagine there would be any connection.

Customer:

Once again, thanks for your reply but it really didn't help.

Dr. AL :

Hello: Regarding your lower lip, all I can consider is the 'roughness' is from cutting your lower lip when you fell and what you're feeling is scar tissue which should resolve itself over time. If you didn't have stitches, this would enhance the roughness. Also, the inside of the lower lip has "accessory salivary glands" which your laceration may have destroyed many of these glands and thus, diminish the salivary flow.

Dr. AL :

More importantly, the "extremely swollen ankles" you're experiencing should not be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly. If you press your ankle with your finger/thumb, and it results in an indentation that stays present for several seconds to a minute or so, you're not eliminating fluids from your body. It could be a serious cardiac/heart condition and you should see your physician "asap". It's from the right side of the heart not pumping efficiently. You physician may know if there's a connection between your fluid retention and how your lip is feeling, but they're probably unrelated.

Dr. AL :

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but if I have, please "accept" and thank you.

Dr. AL, Dentist
Experience: 30 yrs. private practice, all phases. Member ADA, AGD, etc