Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have a sore behind my right top front teeth that looks and

Customer Question

I have a sore behind my right top front teeth that looks and feels like a cold sore and when I eat something rough it is very painful and I wondered what it was, I ate pizza today and had a burning sensation when I ate that, I just had a cold sore on my upper lip and wondered if this had anything to do with it. I just noticed it yesterday and I worry about oral cancer but it doesn't look like any of the pictures that I have seen.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Would it be possible for you to provide a photograph of the involved area? You may use the "paper clip" icon on the text entry form toolbar to upload your digital photo. Alternatively, you may upload your graphics file to a photo hosting site, such as photobucket.com or flickr.com, and provide a link to the photo in a reply to this information request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not able to do this, could you please just provide me with some information without a picture? It would be impossible for me to get a picture because it is right behind my teeth
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not able to do this, could you please just provide me with some information without a picture? It would be impossible for me to get a picture because it is right behind my teeth. do you think this sounds like oral cancer
Although it is not possible to conclusively rule out oral cancer in the absence of any diagnostic data, the incidence of cancer in the anterior hard palate is statistically quite low, and it is therefore unlikely that the lesion to which you refer represents a malignancy.

So, although this is almost certainly not cancer, it would be much more difficult to say what it is. It might be due to a physical trauma from hard or sharp food, or a thermal burn from that hot pizza. It might also be a secondary herpetic lesion similar to the cold sore you mentioned. It could also be due to a periodontal infection in the adjacent incisor tooth, or a reactive lesion such as a pyogenic granuloma, or a lesion of some mucocutaneous disorder, such as lichen planus, pemphigoid, or lupus. Or, it could be due to a yeast or deep mycotic infection, or a benign neoplasm such as a papilloma, or any of hundreds of other known clinical entities.

As you can see, speculation is not very useful when the broad list of possibilities cannot be narrowed down by any of the presenting characteristics of your lesion. Therefore, if the sore does not resolve within a two-week period of time, you should arrange for your dentist to provide you with a formal diagnostic examination, which should be able to eliminate any ambiguity as to what this lesion may be.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much Dr. Bornfield, I just realized the sore is on gum tissue. Does that help shed any more light?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much Dr. Bornfield, I just realized the sore is on gum tissue. Does that help shed any more light? This is the last question, I promise lol
Unfortunately, this does not help to narrow down the field of differential diagnoses. I had already presumed that this is a gingival lesion, based on your description of its location behind the front teeth.

You will still want to see your dentist if this does not resolve within a two week period.
Hope this helps. If my answer has been helpful, please remember to click "accept".
Good luck!