Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

cant chew or close my mouth on right side of jaw. Very painful

Customer Question

can't chew or close my mouth on right side of jaw. Very painful for about 6 days now.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

Is there any swelling, redness or other symptom? Are you on any other medication? Is there any significant past illness?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No swelling, or redness. Does not hurt at all until I try to bite on that side. Teeth do not hurt.

I am not on any medications and there is no past illness. I did have 4 wisdon teeth
removed last May.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

The detail description of your symptoms sound like Temporo Mandibular Joint disorders. Many factors can predispose to it. Stress & insomnia may precipitate it. Heat or ice application can help. Tylenol or ibuprofen can be used. Rest to the joint as much as possible can be beneficial. Try to take soft diet to give rest to the joint. Usually by 2-3 weeks, the symptoms should decrease. If the conservatives management does not help, then other prescription grade medicine will be required. It will be prudent to get a consultation with doctor for examination and intervention as necessary.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell me where the irritation actually exists in the joint with this diagnisis?
Is it inflammation of a nerve or the bone? Don't understand why I can't close my mouth.
Is there a viral component with this at all?
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
This is inflammation in the joints of the bone. It does not sound like a nerve. Inflammation can come from different causes. Those can be due teeth grinding, osteo or other arthritis.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok. So what type of doctor should I see for an appointment? Can arthritis and osteo be

diagnosed from an xray? I was told that I grind my teeth but I have never experienced any pain in the past. It is so acute and has lasted for 6 days. Would osteo hurt like this?

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
You can consult your primary doctor. He can take X ray or other tests. If he thinks necessary he can then refer you to an appropriate specialist. If you are satisfied with the answer, please press the ACCEPT button so that I can be compensated for my time & effort. Regards.
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

The acute onset and severity implied by your description suggests a subluxation/dislocation of the disc inside your temporomandibular joint (TMJ), rather than an arthritis. The fact that you have an occlusal splint/night guard suggests that TMJ dysfunction has been an established issue for you, but a disk subluxation, as you have already discovered, cannot be adequately treated by occlusal appliances.

It is my experience that medical doctors do not typically like to treat functional or structural TMJ disorders, and will usually refer patients like you to an oral surgeon. However, there are more appropriate clinicians with whom to consult for your issue. My advice would be to seek out an oro-facial pain specialist, who will be best qualified to assess and treat your complaint. Your general dentist will be able to provide you with a referral, or you may consult the online directory of the American Board of Orofacial Pain.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! This was a more detailed answer and seems to fit my condition. I have made my appointment.

Best,

C Watson
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome. Good luck!