Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
17394144

My husbands temporary crown fell out. His dentist just left

My husbands temporary crown fell out. His dentist just left for vacation told him to buy temporary cement at drug store. He did. Directions said if you can't put it in correctly then do not. So he did not. Is it okay to go till Monday with out temp crown? Is it okay to put it maybe not correctly? He is not sure which way is correct.

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

I am sorry to hear regarding the problem.Have you tried contacting your dentist on his emergency phone number to arrange an appointment?

Be advised that this does not warrant an emergency visit to your dentist, however i would advise you to consult him on Monday.Temporary crowns are usually provided to the patients for the comfortability factor till the permanent crowns are fabricated.If you are comfortable without the temporary crowns, there is no such urgency.You could fix your appointment with your dentist and get it fixed.

However, you could also recement the crown yourself.You could get temporary dental cement, preferably dentemp from any of the dental pharmacies or even Walmart.Dry the tooth and the temporary crown.Then place the cement in the crown and recement it in the original position. Be sure of the proper orientation of the crown.This would last till the time the next appointment is scheduled.

Note - In any case, re-cementing or failing to re-cement the temporary crown will not have any long-term effect on the ultimate result of your dental treatment.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Kindly Accept the Solution,if 100% Satisfied from my response.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What happens if he is unsure of proper orientation of crown? Should he cement it the way he 'thinks' is proper?
Thanks for your response!!

I would rather advise him to leave the tooth the way it is. This does not warrant emergency trip to a dentist. I made this recommendation because dental cements are not all that reliable, and if the crown is not placed properly, it may lead to either loss of crown, or even swallowing or aspiration of the object, which could be a threat to his health.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.