Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I had a gold crown put on today on a back wisdom tooth which

I had a gold crown put on today on a back wisdom tooth which I wanted to be porcelain but my dentist refused to do it. I have had a metallic taste in my mouth all day. Is this normal and I was told I could not have a porcelain crown because I grind my teeth and would break a porcelain crown.  He said he would have made me sign a release but also stated that he probably would not have done a porcelain crown anyway.  I felt like I was forced to do this since I had to pay half for a $1000 crown plus the other work on the tooth (my insurance pays only half).  How long should I wait for this taste to go away and I also hate the slick feel of it in the back.  I know you can't see it but I know it is there.

Also, I kept the wisdom tooth because I had 4 pre-molars removed when I was young to make room for braces.

Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

There are several issues implicit in your question.

First-- regardless of whether there were prior extractions for orthodontic reasons, it is not generally customary to expend extraordinary resources on the structural restoration of wisdom teeth. In fact, this is especially the case when orthodontic treatment is performed, because there is a general consensus that wisdom teeth can contribute to tooth crowding, which can jeopardize the orthodontic result. Additionally, the wisdom teeth are often situated in such a way that they contribute little or nothing to the functionality of the mouth, and they often lead to gum inflammation and overt infection. Some dentists automatically recommend the extraction of all wisdom teeth as a matter of course, in order to avert any of these problems commonly associated with wisdom teeth. In unusual cases, wisdom teeth may merit the effort and expense of restoration-- for example, when adjacent teeth are missing and they are needed to support either a fixed or removable dental prosthesis, but in most cases, placement of crowns on wisdom teeth is unwarranted. Granted, whatever benefits you could have expected from placement of a crown on your wisdom tooth would have been a subject to discuss with your dentist before you implemented treatment.

However, in principle, I am inclined to agree with your dentist as regards XXXXX XXXXX of a metal crown over a porcelain crown. This is not only due to the inherent fragility of porcelain, which is potentially problematic in a high-stress application such as this, but also because wisdom teeth are typically short, and cannot be drilled down sufficiently to create enough space for porcelain over the chewing surface of a crown without severely compromising the strength of the bond between the crown and the tooth. Each case must be considered on its unique individual circumstances, but the placement of a porcelain crown in wisdom tooth position runs the risk of compromising functionality for the dubious advantage of a nice looking crown in a position that is not visible.

As regards XXXXX XXXXX taste: unless that new crown is in direct contact with other metal in your mouth-- perhaps another metal crown or a metal filling in an adjacent or opposing tooth-- most dental casting alloys would not taste metallic, and it is likely that the taste is coming from something else. That something else might be some uncured resin cement, or it might even be due to residual gum inflammation from the crown procedure itself. I would recommend that you wait at least two weeks to see if the taste resolves on its own before you return to your dentist for further assessment.

As for the "slick feel" of the crown-- this is not related to its metallic composition, but rather because it is smoother than what was there before (presumably, either a broken tooth or an acrylic temporary crown). Hypothetically, had your crown been made of porcelain, it would have been even "slicker"-- glazed porcelain has a smoother surface than polished metal. Within a day or two, you will become accustomed to your new crown.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your detailed answer. We had discussed pulling or saving the wisdom tooth and both of us decided (dentist and I) that it should be saved because of the lack of not having a tooth back there for eating/biting purposes. My wisdom teeth all came in at the same time straight as could be with no problems after the removals of the pre-molars.

The crown is next to an old metal filling. Does that mean I will have this horrible metallic taste then forever? Thank you.
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
It is unlikely that the taste will persist-- even if it is due to the phenomenon of "galvanism" (an electrical interaction between two dissimilar metals), the point of contact between the two restorations will quickly develop an insulating "passivating layer" of metallic oxides, and will cause the taste to dissipate.

At only one day after crown placement, it's far too early to be concerned about this issue. The vast majority of complaints like yours disappear on their own within a week or two.

Hope this helps. If my answer has been helpful, please remember to click "accept".
Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your information....have a good day.
You're welcome. Good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I already paid you $15.00 through PayPal. I'm not paying another $15.00.