Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

My tongue feels weird and I have a frequent bad taste in my

My tongue feels weird like it is scuffed up, and I have a frequent bad taste in my mouth.I have mild gum recession but not gingivitis. I use excellent oral hygiene.  Any ideas?  My gums are a bit sensitive at the gumline also but I think I need to use the Sonicare less frequently and use a regular brush half the time.  I have had yearly sinus infections in the past few years but I am not noting one now.  However, my upper sinuses seem slightly tender and I have a sore throat which I think is related to hay-fever.  P.S.  I am near the end of a process for a dental implant in an upper 2nd molar.  I have had no difficulties or issues with the procedure.  The implant was placed a couple of months ago and I only have the crown portion left to do.  Oddly, chewing any gum seems to help all of the above issues temporarily - maybe it generates more saliva, etc.  Finally, I am not on any medication; I take only a multi-vitamin.  Thanks!

Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Although bad taste can originate in the mouth from any inflammatory condition in the tissues, it can also stem from other causes, such as post-nasal drip or other catarrh (as suggested by your sinus and throat symptoms), gastroesophageal reflux disease, or "dysgeusia"-- a neurological impairment in taste perception. Since you are in active dental treatment, I would like to think that your dentist would have addressed a dental cause for your bad taste, and I believe that the search for answers should be directed elsewhere-- more appropriately, to be conducted by your medical doctor for non-dental bases for this complaint. However, the "scuffed up" feeling of your tongue should not be dismissed, and you should ask your dentist for his guidance with regard to this issue. If he is unable to provide help, you should consider asking for a referral to an oral pathologist, who has the necessary expertise to identify and treat mucous membrane disorders of the mouth. Alternatively, you may consult the online directory of the American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology for contact information for an oral pathologist near you.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think my tongue issue might be from it constantly going to the implant post as an auto-response - I believe it may really be scuffed up! However, the bad taste and tenderness along the gum line is making me think a-typical gingivitis. Any chance I need a deep scraping and they didn't detect it? I am no expert, clearly. My dentist, endodontist, and prosthedontist are telling me everything is fine........Perhaps you are correct in stating that it is a case for a regular physician. But wouldn't I recognize acid reflux? Thanks!
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Is there a chance that your dentists all simply failed to detect periodontal disease? Certainly-- there is no way to exclude the possibility that your dentists are all bad diagnosticians, but I think that would be reaching-- periodontal disease accounts for a substantial proportion of dental service, and at least your general dentist would not likely neglect to include a periodontal assessment as part of his general diagnostic service.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) sometimes presents in classical ways, with classical symptoms-- retrosternal burning, sour taste in the mouth, etc., but if it always presented classically, there would be no need for all the diagnostic tests (endoscopy, esophageal manometry, esophageal pH testing) that are devoted to its detection. There are other, subtle symptoms that can be dismissed as other trivial issues-- occasional cough, frequent clearing of the throat, the sense of a lump in the throat, or no symptoms at all-- just a serendipitous finding of esophagitis on routine endoscopy. No-- you would not necessarily recognize acid reflux, and this problem should be included in the differential diagnosis by your medical doctor.

Hope this helps. If my answer has been helpful, please remember to click "accept".
Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA