Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

my gums are red below the teeth - at the bottom of the gum

Customer Question

my gums are red below the teeth - at the bottom of the gum abit tender not too bad - i have only noticed this today not red on top of mouth
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Most commonly, redness of the gums is due to inflammatory periodontal disease, which can have negative implications for the long-term health of your teeth. Less commonly, redness of the gums can arise from a group of auto-immune inflammatory disorders, such as lichen planus, pemphigoid, pemphigus vulgaris, lupus, Crohn's disease, and others.

The proper treatment for your condition would depend on a formal identification of the specific disorder that is responsible. You should schedule an appointment with your dentist for a diagnostic session; once the nature of the problem has been clarified, an appropriate course of remedial treatment can be prescribed.

Hope this helps...