Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience

I had a gumball sized abscess above the tooth right behind

I had a gumball sized abscess above the tooth right behind my left upper canine. I just popped it and have been gargling hot salt water since (I have actually been gargling hot salt water since yesterday when the bump arrived). I am currently in Paris without international insurance and will not return to the US for another 6 weeks. What should I do now? How soon do I need to see a dentist before the abscess kills my tooth? (I did get a cavity filled at that tooth a couple years ago and have had pain about every year since then which my dentist told me was from my wisdom teeth). Please help!

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

I am glad to hear that the abscess has burst itself. Clean that area with a piece of cotton. If the abscess appears again, try rinsing frequently with hot salt water solution. You could dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as would be able to tolerate without burning your mouth, and rinse for 2 - 3 minutes every 4 hours.You could also keep a dry black tea bag against the infected tooth for slight relief of pain and swelling.Be advised that DO NOT TRY TO BURST THE ABSCESS with sharp objects, lest they superimpose a physical injury on top of an already bad situation. Moreover, it could even result in rupturing a large blood vessel and provoking profuse bleeding.

Though the abscess has burst, still that does not cure infection. For this reason, i would rather advise you to consult a dentist ASAP for the correct diagnosis and exact treatment protocol.

For the time being, there is nothing much you could do other than scheduling an early appointment with a local dentist there. If pain is still there, you should continue with pain medications.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Kindly Accept the Solution,if 100% Satisfied from my response.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THank you for your response. I would also like to know if I can wait the 6 weeks before I see a dentist in the event that no other side effects occur, no return of bumps and if there is no pain. Currently, there is no pain or any other side effects. I ask because I do not have insurance and would like to see my own dentist once I return to the US. I understand that this is not advised but is waiting 6 weeks still alright? How long before the abscess would seriously worsen or damage/kill my tooth?
Thanks for your response!!

I would rather advise you to consult a dentist ASAP. Just how long the infection would take to reassert itself is highly unpredictable ; it may be less than a week or it could be several months. Even antibiotics would not clear this infection and when this infection recurs, it could become as severe or more severe than what it was initially.

Thanks and Regards
Dr. Bagga
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again. Finally, are the only options once I get to the doctor that I either get a root canal or pull the tooth? The cavity was filled so is there any other option that could keep the tooth alive yet solve the solution?
Thanks for your response!!

Be advised that as without the opportunity to examine your tooth clinically and look at the x- ray, i would not qualify as a legitimate 2nd opinion.However, i could only add some inputs to the diagnosis. The only way to save the tooth is root canal. The abscess is coming from an infected nerve inside your tooth. Root canal is the process of removing infected nerve.If the tooth cannot be repaired, the only option would be extraction.

Thanks and Regards
Dr. Bagga