Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

One of my crowns broke off at the gum line ( the tooth had

One of my crowns broke off at the gum line ( the tooth had had a root canal done so there is no pain) will it cause any problems leaving the stump of the tooth in tact or should it be removed to prevent infection?
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

The main issue is the loss of function of the tooth rather than infection per se. With the loss of the crown, you will not only lose its chewing function, but the neighboring and opposing teeth will begin to drift due to the loss of continuity of the dental arch.

You should consult with your dentist to explore your options for either salvaging and restoring the tooth, or removing the root and providing some type of prosthetic replacement, such as a fixed bridge or an implant-supported prosthesis.

Hope this helps...