Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified
29738074

how can a denture be made to fit if bone loss is too severe

how can a denture be made to fit if bone loss is too severe to support the appliance, cost of implants is prohibitive and every one made has made my muuth anf face appear deformed...sucken in
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer. It is very difficult to make dentures fit when there is no bone left for the denture to fit on. A denture needs bone in order to stay in place. Without it, the denture moves around and cannot be stabilized. I know the cost of implants are expensive, but check into mini implants, they are less expensive and work well for your case. Without doing something to stabilize the denture, it will be hard to have one made that fits and works right. As far as the appearance not being right, could be a case where your lower jaw is further back than normal. This usually gives the sunken in appearance. If there has been several sets made and they keep looking the same, this could be the case.

I will be glad to respond if needed.

Best of Luck!

Dr. Cliff

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how much on average do mini implants cost, where in fl. can i get it done. and what is difference in cost between regular implants and mini?
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your response. You may be able to get 4-5 mini implants placed for around $1500, and your existing denture can be modified to snap onto the implants. This will give a good stable denture. Regular implants may run about $2000 each. so if you were able to get away with just 2 implants, it would cost you about $4000. As far as finding a provider, this is something you may have to call around or look in the yellow pages for advertisements for implants. It would be hard for me to find you a provider. Your dentist may be able to refer you to someone. Dr. Cliff