Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

Acute pain in lower gums and lower teeth

Good morning, I've been dealing for a week and a half with an acute (yes, very intense) pain in my lower gum and four lower front teeth (with referred pain to the sides of my head). There were also a couple of days in which the pain went to the roof of my mouth, making it impossible to swallow any fluids whatsoever. When the pain gets so intense it literally makes me cry. Also, I went to my university health center and both a doctor and a dentist couldn't see any inflammation of the gums or anything out of the ordinary (after a mouth examination). They recommended me to start taking Naproxen 500 mg, along with Amoxicilin 500 in case there was any infection. Both professionals told me that it might be related to stress, but this week my final exams are already over. I've been trying everything possible to fight the cause of this intense pain, from gargles with Listerine to Anbesol to soothe the pain, to Tylenol to Naproxen (also Amoxicilin, following the doctor's directions) or Hydrogen Peroxide, even meditation to distress.... Nevertheless, pain comes and goes... and during the evening, it gives me a very hard time sleeping. Again, it makes me cry and I have no idea how to handle this. I believe there must be something else going on. Would you recommend me to have a blood test, X-rays, penicilin (which might be stronger)? I truly appreciate your time reading this, and your advice would be very welcome. Thank you very much... Best Wishes!
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Oral pain of a severity suggested by your narrative almost always presents with conspicuous visual signs. The fact that two diagnostic sessions failed to disclose any obvious abnormality suggests that the search be directed elsewhere outside the realm of dentistry.

However, your description of your encounter with the university health center doctors suggests something short of a full diagnostic workup, and anything short of a FULL diagnostic workup will fall short of what you need. If x-rays were not taken, they need to be taken. If your health center dentist does not have the facilities to take a full set of intra-oral x-rays or at least a panoramic film, you need to go to a dentist who can.

If after a thorough dental examination the dentist fails to identify the cause of your pain, you should consider seeking consultation with a neurologist; most non-dental causes of orofacial pain are due to neuropathic pain disorders such as neuralgia, and are best investigated by a neurologist.

Hope this helps...