Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

what medications can cause sudden bad dental problems

Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Most medications that negatively impact the health of the teeth do so by inhibiting salivary secretion, which normally has a protective effect on the teeth. There are many medications that dry out the mouth, including blood pressure medication, tranquilizers, antidepressants, neuroleptics, and others. When there is a sudden up-tick in tooth decay prevalence, salivary suppression is usually the culprit. If the documented side effects of the medications you are taking cause oral dryness, those medications are likely to be the culprit(s).

You do not indicate the severity of your physical disability, but impairment of hand or arm function could also be a contributing factor if it impairs your ability to perform adequate oral hygiene technique-- toothbrushing, flossing, and the like.

Your dentist can provide you with reparative care, and assist you with prevention of new tooth decay. The use of fluoride preparations (for example, prescription-strength take home fluoride gels, in-office fluoride varnishes) will greatly reduce your risk to additional tooth decay. Other measures, such as the application of sealants to vulnerable areas of your teeth, as well as more frequent check-ups so that new cavities can be detected and intercepted at an earlier stage, will help to limit the destructive effects of tooth decay.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA