Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting

My Gum under one of my teeth is swollen like a small balloon.

My Gum under one of my teeth is swollen like a small balloon. What is that ? and what should I do?

Great question, let me help you.

This is a sign of an infection (abcess). This can be coming from the tooth or the gums, but either way you should be seen by a dentist for an x-ray and evaluation sometime in the next week to diagnose it. If it is a gum infection, the dentist can place antibiotics in the gums and clean them so it heals. If it is a tooth infection, he will have to do a root canal or extract the tooth for the infection to heal. Many times infections in teeth are a result of a crack or cavity in the tooth. Gum infections are a result of bacteria trapped under the gums from food you ate, or a lack of proper hygiene/flossing. In the meantime, there are home care treatments you can do to help the area. First, floss the area twice daily. This will remove bacteria in the gums. Second, rinse with peroxide twice daily. This will kill bacteria above the gums, and help the tissue heal. These treatments will not cure the infection, but they will keep it under control until you see the dentist. I recommend you call on Monday for an evaluation appt sometime this week, and do these home treatments in the meantime. If you have questions, please ask. Please click accept. Thank you.

I have seen a dentist , and did an X-Ray. The dentist gave me Augmentine to fight the infection and wants to perform a root canal on the tooth. Is there a way for the infection to heal and for me to avoid the root canal procedure? The tooth itself is not painful.