Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

My right rear molar hurts, when I bite down,this started three

My right rear molar hurts, when I bite down,this started three days ago, had a cleaning and check up one month ago, with no problems Asprin relieves temporary, seeing dentist tomorrow, looking for possible causes and solutions
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

The symptom you describe, formally known as "pericementitis", can arise from several different issues, including:
  • "occlusal trauma"-- this is physical injury to the supporting tissues around the tooth root due to exposure to excessive biting or chewing pressure. This is often associated with an unconscious jaw clenching/tooth grinding habit ("bruxism"), and may be treated by use of a night guard appliance to protect the teeth from this injury.
  • Tooth fracture-- this can be due either to bruxism (see above), or due to weakening of a tooth from prior fillings. Depending on the depth and orientation of the crack, it may or may not be possible to salvage the tooth by structurally re-building it with a crown.
  • Pulpitis-- this is an inflammation or infection of the dental pulp due to deep decay or deep fillings. This is treated either by root canal therapy or, if the tooth is too damaged or does not contribute function to the bite, extraction.
  • Periodontal disease-- inflammation in the supporting tissues around the tooth root due to bacterial irritation is treated by a combination of scrupulous oral hygiene and periodontal therapy, which can be simple (deep cleaning) or involved (periodontal surgery).
Your dentist will need to assess the tooth to determine the cause for the symptoms, after which an appropriate therapeutic course can be selected.

Hope this helps...