Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

Can Clindamycin hydrochloride be used for gum infection or

Can Clindamycin hydrochloride be used for gum infection or abscess?
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Clindamycin is a reasonable antibiotic to use for temporary suppression of dental infection for those patients who are allergic to penicillin. For persons who are not allergic to penicillin, one of the semi-synthetic oral penicillins, such as penicillin V or amoxicillin, would be more effective while having a superior safety profile to clindamycin.

Typical dosage of clindamycin for an adult would be 300 milligrams three times daily, for a minimum of 5 days. Clindamycin does pose a risk of promoting overgrowth of clostridium difficile (c-diff) bacteria in the bowel, leading to pseudomembranous colitis, which is a serious condition. If you develop diarrhea, you should discontinue the clindamycin immediately and consult your medical doctor.

I should also stress that antibiotics cannot cure dental infection per se; they can only temporarily reduce its severity. Dental infection requires direct professional intervention-- either root canal therapy, periodontal therapy, or extraction, for cure.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This antibotic was prescribed for me july of 2008 for a different kind of infection. In December 2010 I had a flare up with this tooth a Dentist prescribed Amox TR-K CL875mg this was very effective but no refills. This is Sunday, I'm Medicade dependant and I don't have a way to get acess to a Dentist, for this reason I sought clarification as to whether ir not this is a adaquate substitution.
Clindamycin is effective for temporary suppression of dental infection. The caveat is that, as is the case for all antibiotics, it must be administered appropriately. That means it must be taken in the proper dosage for a sufficient length of time: 300 milligrams 3 times a day, for a minimum of 5 days of treatment. It is not quite as effective as the amoxicillin/clavulanate you took previously, but it should do the trick-- at least temporarily.

Good luck!