Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Can my dentist give me a copy of my x-rays My dentist took

Can my dentist give me a copy of my x-rays? My dentist took digital x rays of my teeth, I asked him today if he can email my x-rays? He said sure, then when i was leaving the receptionist said she could just give me a copy there,, i was under the impression it was going to be put on disc., i said is it on disc? she says "no" So she hands me an envelope, i open it and its a piece of photopaper with very small copies of my teeth in sections on the page.. I was really surprised and told her i would need the copies emailed to me, she seemed annoyed and said "you want them emailed to"? I said yes, she hasnt emailed them to me... My question is does the dentist give me a copy of my digital xrays? My endodontist copied my xrays to a disc and gave me the actual copy...... just curious? I think the receptionist should have explained what she was handing me, i thought it was unprofessional
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Your dentist may choose to either e-mail the digital images or give you a hard printed copy; either will suffice for purposes of communicating the diagnostic information to another dentist, so long as the printed copies are well-printed. Either method would legally satisfy his obligation to provide you with your x-rays.

The laws with regard to electronic transmission of confidential health information are still in a state of development, and it is important to remember that conventional, unencrypted e-mail is not a secure means of communication; the data can be intercepted at any point between its point of origin to its final destination, and on any of the e-mail servers in between. Strictly speaking, conventional unencrypted e-mail does not comply with the privacy guidelines of the federal HIPAA laws that govern electronic transmission of medical data. However, many doctors are sending x-rays through e-mail, so the precedent has been set. In any case, a paper copy is generally as good as a digital image file. If your dentist is unwilling to e-mail them, you can convert the paper print out to digital with a conventional scanner.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX he gave me are very small, its a 8x10 paper with 2 by 2inches in a square of different sections of my teeth....18 images crammed onto 1 sheet.. Does a dentist charge for a copy of the digital xrays? Not sure why the receptionist hasnt emailed me the xrays.
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
A dentist may choose either to charge a small fee to cover the expense of duplication, or provide the copies free of charge-- it would be up to his discretion. The prevailing laws do not specify the appropriate fee, other than to state that they should be "reasonable". In many jurisdictions, "reasonable" means no more than 75¢ per sheet.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist