Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Underneath my tongue and in the floor of my mouth theres what feels like a swollen,

Underneath my tongue and in the floor of my mouth there's what feels like a swollen, bumpy, tubular lump that runs all along the bottom of the boney ridge beneath my teeth. It's not painful but it sometimes changes slightly in shape and becomes more rigid after I've eaten. It appeared around six months ago but has got more prominent in the last four weeks.
I've researched it like crazy on the internet but cannot find anything that sounds like what it is. I can only assume it's a swelling of the sublingual glands or possibly salivary glands. It's not painful but on the one side, I sometimes get a slight swelling under my jaw (on the outside) and this has a mild burning sensation to it. I'm baffled. I saw my dentist who only picked up on a slight 'tori' (I think that's the right spelling). I will raise the issue again when I see him in two weeks and ask him to do a thorough check of the floor of my mouth.
I really don't know what it is :(

I'm male and 22. I have recently stopped sm
Submitted: 3 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Without being able to personally examine you, I am limited to speculation, and I offer my response in that spirit.

The fact that you perceive the swelling to be more prominent after eating suggests that you may have some blockage of one of the sublingual or submaxillary salivary ducts. Blockage may be due to the presence of a stone in the duct, or due to ductal atresia or stenosis. However, it is uncertain whether your observations are accurate as to the variability in the size of the swelling; the assessment of the morphology and consistency of the soft tissues of the mouth requires that it be done under consistent conditions. In other words, there is the possibility that your observation reflects a normal anatomic structure rather than a pathological finding, and a reliable assessment in order to conclusively identify your swelling should be done by either an oral surgeon or an otolaryngologist.

The swelling on the outer aspect of your face under your jaw would likely represent an inflamed lymph node, and this could be the result of almost anything, from a recent head cold to a dental or sinus infection. Again, this is usually innocent, but may merit professional assessment when during the periods when it is manifest.

Mandibular tori are a completely different issue, and are easily identified as hard, fixed swellings on the inward-facing aspects of the lower jaw bone, usually in the premolar region. These are of no significance, unless they are of sufficient size to impair chewing or speaking.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your answer!

Just two more small questions:

If there is a stone in the sublingual or submaxillary salivary ducts, what kind of treatment would be needed?

Also, could the slight swelling under the jaw be related to the problem inside the mouth?

Thank you, again.
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Treatment of salivary ductal stones is dependent on the position of the stones and their size. Superficial stones can sometimes be expelled by accelerating salivation-- for example, using lemon drops (sugarless, of course). Sometimes they can be removed by manually "milking" the duct to move them to the gland orifice. Still larger stones may be removed by enlarging the duct by use of probes placed into the duct. Large stones, or stones that are lodged closer to the gland than to the duct orifice, sometimes need to be surgically removed.

Lymph nodes can become swollen from inflammation from any cause-- an acute viral syndrome such as a cold or the flu, a chronic viral infection such as mononucleosis, or non-specific inflammation in any of the tissues whose lymphatic drainage flows through that node. The submandibular nodes are regional to the nose, the sinuses, the mouth, jaws, and teeth, and the skin on the side of the face. Inflammation or infection in any of those areas may cause submandibular "lymphadenitis" (inflammation of the submandibular lymph nodes. The sublingual tissues are within that region, so yes-- a sialadenitis (inflamed salivary gland) could cause a submandibular lymphadenitis.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA