Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

My crown just chipped, the outer side of it broke off clean,

Customer Question

My crown just chipped, the outer side of it broke off clean, still have the piece. Can I repair it? I don't have dental insurance for another 2 months as I just started new job
Thank you!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

If your crown has a metallic sub-structure (i.e., your crown is a "porcelain-fused-to-metal" crown rather than an all-porcelain crown), the tooth is still sealed, and repair of the crown would only be necessary for cosmetic reasons. If the tooth is not in an area that is conspicuous, you can forego the repair until you are able to have a more formal professional intervention.

However, if the breakage poses a significant cosmetic liability, you may attempt to re-attach the piece using a commercial cyanoacrylate cement, such as Crazy Glue or Super Glue. You will need to be careful to avoid contact between the cement and your finger to avoid gluing the chip to your finger; use tweezers if possible. Dry the tooth and the porcelain fragment before starting, use a small amount of cement on the fragment, carefully position the fragment on the tooth (use a toothpick to help maneuver the piece), taking care not to get cement on your lips or other soft tissues, and retract the lip for a minute or two while the cement dries.

Be advised that this will provide no more than a temporary repair; you will need to have your dentist make you a new crown for a more durable solution.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you!
Mine looks like it is all porcelain, all the adhesive still covers my tooth, can I still repair with cement/glue for now?
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
You may still use cyanoacrylate glue. If your crown is all-porcelain, it might explain why it broke-- all-porcelain crowns are more fragile than porcelain fused to metal crowns, and you may wish to consider whether your next crown should be the stronger, porcelain and metal variety.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much!
I will make sure to get a porcelain and metal crown next time
You're welcome. Good luck!