Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

hi there my tongue looks like it has ripples on each side..

hi there my tongue looks like it has ripples on each side.. looks like some one pinched just the edges
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Scalloping of the lateral edges of the tongue is a common finding, and is usually a result of pressure against the tongue from an unconscious tongue thrust habit. It is an innocent symptom, and has no health implications.

The only exception would be when tongue scalloping is due to tongue enlargement, which can be a symptom of amyloidosis secondary to an immune-related disorder, or myxedema from hypothyroidism. In this case, consultation with a medical doctor or endocrinologist is appropriate.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
because i do not smock or chew and the edges look like oie crust and sometimes it looks good and sometimes bad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what is myxedema from hypothyroidism? should i worry about tounge cancer?
The variability of appearance is expected, and consistent with my prior assessment.
Scalloping is unrelated to tongue cancer.
Myxedema is a swelling of the tongue and facial features that occurs in cases of under-active thyroid. An endocrinologist will be able to assess you for this condition if your primary care medical doctor suspects this to be an issue in your case.

Hope this helps.

If you find my answer to be helpful, please click "accept" so that I may be given credit. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so would it go away i went to the doctor and he have me prednisone for it ..like i said it looks normal in the mourning and then looks like someone pinched just the edges of my tounge
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
No-- prednisone will do nothing to eliminate scalloping of the tongue. In fact, due to the tendency of prednisone to cause water retention, it may even accentuate the scalloping.

As I said previously, tongue scalloping is an innocent condition that requires no treatment in itself. It is only significant if it is reflective of an underlying medical condition, such as amyloidosis or hypothyroidism, which would have been accompanied by other symptoms. So, unless you are experiencing any other symptoms that may indicate that something is amiss (in which case you should consult with your medical doctor), you do not need to treat tongue scalloping.

Good luck! If you find my answer to be helpful, please click "accept" so that I may be given credit. Thank you!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA