Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I have a pain in my gum at the very back of my mouth behind

I have a pain in my gum at the very back of my mouth behind where my teeth end. I've had my wisdom teeth out for about 6 years so I don't think that's the issue. Pain started about 2 days ago and has gotten worse each day and is worse in the morning
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Because pain is a non-specific symptom that could be present in a wide variety of different issues, the answer must by necessity be speculative. The differential diagnosis might include:
  • a periodontal abscess at the back of the second molar
  • a dento-alveolar abscess due to pulp disease in the second molar
  • part of the wisdom tooth that was ostensibly removed was inadvertently allowed to remain, and has now become infected
  • acute physical injury to the gum tissue due to chewing, sharp, or hot food
  • some type of mucosal lesion, such as an aphthous ulcer or secondary herpes simplex eruption.
Specific treatment can only be implemented after the nature of the problem related to your symptoms has been properly identified. Depending on the severity of your symptoms, your dentist may be willing to move up your appointment to lessen the waiting period, and I would advise you to call him to see whether he would accommodate you sooner.

Hope this helps...